Saturday, June 14, 2008

Teachers vs Babysitters

Do we pay our teachers enough? I did a simple calculation the other day thinking about what it would cost me to have one of my kids watched by a babysitter for the same amount of time an average student is in school. Here is my math:

6 Hours X 180 Days X $5/hour = $5,400

Now that doesn't seem like a lot until you put 20 kids in a class room.

$5400 X 20 = $108,000

I'm not saying we should pay teachers $108,000, but it sure makes you think about what we are paying them per hour per student.

1 comment:

Bryce said...

I totally agree with you and your thinking. I might be bias because my mother is a teacher. But honestly a slight increase in pay could be very rewarding. I am worried that we will continue to cut their salary that "good" teachers will go onto other things to make money. Then our public schools will be replaced by "filler" teachers. Ones who don't give a crap.