Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Because I can...

The local news has been running stories over the past few days about individuals who feel like they are being harassed by the local police departments because they carry handguns out in the open. For full disclosure, I want to say I'm a firm believer in the second amendment, but I do think there should be some restrictions.

It is hard for me to understand why someone wants to carry a gun in public. Don't they fill safe walking through the community? What is this need that drives them to carry a weapon in public? I haven't talked with them personally, but I have talked with friends and family members that have concealed weapons permits. I've asked them multiple times why they want to carry a weapon. I usually hear two answers: 1) self defense and 2) because I can.

If the open carry individuals answer the same way, then I have to ask, isn't showing a gun a more aggressive stance than a defensive one? The majority of Americans don't carry a gun. I'm sure many don't even own a gun. So why does someone feel the need to take an aggressive stance in public by carrying a gun? "Because I can."

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean that they should do it. Many people use the Bill of Rights, especially the first and second amendment, to do and say things because they can. Personally I don't think that was the intent of the founding fathers when they created the document. It was to protect our rights, not to give us the right to flaunt them.

I say, if you really want to carry a gun, get a concealed weapons permit and don't make others uncomfortable, especially those who willingly choose to "protect and serve" us.

No comments: