Saturday, April 25, 2009

Global warming. The wrong argument.

I was flying home last night and sat next to a gentleman that talked to me the entire time. Normally, I’m not one to talk on flights but this was quite an interesting conversation. Topics ranged across the board from Abraham Lincoln to religion to global warming. And it is global warming on which I would like to discuss, well sort of.

First off I won’t tell you what each of us thought about global warming. It is irrelevant to this discussion. What I would like to talk about was something that we both agreed upon, and that was the important thing, we both agreed.

Global warming has been a constant discussion point in the news and politics over the last decade. It is either true or it isn’t, there is no middle ground. Both sides have their studies, both sides have their arguments, but they will never agree. These arguments have become so entertaining that Michael Crichton even wrote a book about it (State of Fear. I highly recommend it). But what is the point of the argument, there will always be conflicting sides to global warming discussion, but one thing I think we all agree on, as was the case with my co-flyer, we want to breath clean air and drink clean water.

Instead of arguing about whether global warming exists, we should work on solving a problem that we all agree needs to be fixed. I think it is just a bonus that it also solves the global warming problem (right or wrong).

No comments: